Adventures of Kali in Cali: Why Serve?

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Why Serve?

I have been asked a few times... why are you serving a mission? You leave your family and friends for 18 months, you could be finishing school and are giving up all your social media and contact with all your loved ones.

My answer is because my Savior has given me so much in this life so the least that I can do is serve Him for 18 months.  Jesus Christ suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross so not only can I be forgiven of my sins and wrong doings but He also suffered our heartache and sickness.  He knows exactly how I am feeling and how I am going to feel when I am missing my family.  I know that I can always turn to my Brother Jesus when I am struggling with anything.  He knows what I am feeling and He wants us to turn to Him in our times of need and struggle.

Yeah I will miss my family a ton. I am going to miss checking up on Instagram every once in a while and I have no works for school but that will all be here when I get back.  Luckily we have email and can write letters to keep in contact with each other but in the end it completely worth the sacrifice and Christ will be there to help me along the whole way.

This gospel has brought so much happiness into my life that I want to share that joy with others who need it most.  At some of my lowest points in my life I was reminded of the Plan of Salvation and that we are going to live with our loved ones who have passed away again.  I am reminded that, "One of God's greatest gifts to us is the joy of trying again... for no failure ever needs to be final." Thomas S. Monson is a the living prophet on this earth today and he receives direct revelation from our Heavenly Father.  I am mainly reminded that our Father in Heaven does not want us to fail.  He wants to see us succeed and return to live in His presence again.  He has given us all the tools that we need - The Book of Mormon, a loving family, a living prophet, the Atonement, the Holy Ghost, and much more - to make it back to Him.

I have never had the most confidence in myself growing up.  I doubted myself constantly and always thought that I was not good enough.  One thing that I have ALWAYS had confidence in is this amazing gospel and that Jesus Christ lives and loves every single one of us.  When he was in the garden He saw every one of us and suffered for everything that we have done wrong and every pain we have felt whether it was actual physical pain or heartache and doubt.  I can't wait for the day that I see my Savior and run up to Him and give Him the biggest hug that I possibly can.  There is no way that I can thank Christ enough for everything He has done for me.  I love my Savior with my whole heart and I think one thing that I can do to thank Him is serve a full-time mission and help bring His missing sheep back to the fold.

As I have been thinking about serving a mission I have decided that there is nothing bad that comes out of serving.  It is going to bless me for the rest of my life.  I will learn how to be more outgoing, more loving of people I don't even know and less judgmental.  It is going to help me come closer to my Father in Heaven and also Jesus Christ.  A mission is going to help me be more sensitive to the promptings of the Holy Ghost.  Not only is it going to bless me but it is also going to bless my family and my future family.  All I have ever wanted to be when I was older was a mom.  Going on a mission is only going to help me be a better mom and wife to my future family.  I am will be a better teacher, more patient and also more loving.

I know this gospel is true and that my Savior lives and I can't wait to share that message with the amazing people that I am going to serve... and hopefully I find out who those people are soon!!

Remember who you are and what you stand for!
Kali :)

No comments:

Post a Comment